CALL FOR BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Vancouver Island University Alumni Association is seeking to identify qualified individuals to fill Board of Director vacancies. We are looking for individuals whose skills, passion, and experience will align with purpose of the VIU Alumni Association and the mission, vision and values of Vancouver Island University.
“The VIU Alumni Association is dedicated to building lifelong relationships with current and future alumni that celebrate, engage and connect our alumni while advancing the goals of Vancouver Island University.”
The VIU Alumni Association Board of Directors serves a critical role by providing strategic direction, resources, and professional expertise to help carry out the VIU Alumni Association mission.
Expected Commitment from Board Members:
- Attend Association Board meetings – 4 per year (1-2 hours/meeting)
- Attend Association Planning session – 1 per year (3 hours)
- Contribute their expertise to the VIU Alumni Association and the alumni relations staff regarding activities such as strategic planning, special projects and ongoing programs
- Become an Alumni Ambassador and encourage other alumni to volunteer
- Engage other alumni to reconnect with the University
- Represent the VIU Alumni Association in the community
- Make a personally meaningful financial gift to the VIU Foundation annually
- Directors shall hold office for a term of 2 years, and shall be eligible for re-election for 2 further 2 year terms.
Nomination Committee is particularly interested in candidates with the following knowledge, experience, and expertise:
- Provincial and/or National sphere of influence or engagement
- Community connections on Vancouver Island – North or South of Nanaimo
- Career Coaching/Mentorship
- Event Planning
- Experience working in a member-focused organization
- Passion for education
The VIU Alumni Association nomination committee values diversity and strives to reflect the makeup of the VIU Region on our Board. As such, the Association seeks to balance gender, race, ethnicity, diversity, age, employment sector, and lived-experience in its recruitment process.
- Applicants must submit:
- A résumé / CV including VIU program taken and last year of study
- A letter of interest outlining relevant skills, experience, areas of influence, and intangible attributes (maximum 1 page)
- All documents to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1, 2019
- Applications will be reviewed by the Nominations Committee
- Selected candidates will be notified by March 15, 2019 that they have been recommended and will be invited to attend the April 2, 2019 meeting
- The Nomination Committee will make recommendations for each open board position to the full Board after the April 2 meeting
Meet the Board of Directors
Caroline Roach, BBA '10 - President
Caroline Roach is a Mortgage Broker and Co-Owner of Fitzwilliam Mortgage Corp. She started her post secondary education at Mal UC and by the time she was done it was VIU. She obtained a Bachelors of Business Administration with a concentration in Management. As well as volunteering for the Alumni Association, she is on the board of directors for the Nanaimo Art Gallery where she serves as Treasurer, and acts as President of the Bayview Elementary School PAC.
Erin Brook, BA '04 - Past President
Erin Brook is the lawyer behind her firm Brook Law here in Nanaimo. She attended VIU for her Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies and Philosophy in 2004, before moving to Calgary for Law School. Erin is actively involved in the community and was the Alumni Representative on the VIU Senate for 4 years and is the current past President of the VIU Alumni Association Board. Erin is the Nanaimo Family Law Section Chair and current Secretary for the National Family Law Section as well she is the past BC Family Law Representative to the Canadian Bar Association National Family Law Section.
John Bratkowski, BBA '10
John Bratkowski, partner at Johnston, Johnston & Associates Ltd, completed his Bachelor of Business Administration at VIU in 2010 with an accounting degree. He then bridged into the Certified General Accountant program and obtained his designation in June 2014. John is excited to be on the board for the university where his career began and to give back to the community.
Paris Gaudet, BA '07
Paris Gaudet has been an integral part of developing the technology sector both regionally and provincially for over a decade. She is known as a collaborative leader with a demonstrated history of creating partnerships, connecting the dots, developing programs, and executing plans. Paris is a passionate advocate for diversity in the tech sector and is currently supporting the Canada’s Digital Technology Supercluster with their Capacity Building Programs.
Robert Lee, BA '04
Robert Lee, currently Branch Manager of RBC Brooks Landing in Nanaim and has worked for RBC for 12 years. Robert graduated from VIU in 2004 with a Bachelor of Arts Degree with a Major in Business Finance. He joined the Alumni Association Board because he believes VIU is such an important institution to Vancouver Island and strongly wishes to advocate for its continued success!
Michael Ribicic, Political Studies and History Student
Michael Ribicic. As a 4th year political studies and history student, Michael has served on over half a dozen committees and boards at VIU including the Senate and the Program Review and Oversight Committee.
Aubrey Robertson, BSc Comp. Sc '17
Aubrey Robertson works at VIU as Project Coordinator for Project AURORA. He has also been self-employed as an IT Consultant providing services in the Nanaimo region for the past 12 years. He is highly engaged within the community as a volunteer and has served on several local non-profit boards. He is currently enrolled in graduate studies at Simon Fraser University pursuing a diploma in Business Administration.
Emeka Udeagha, MBA '14
Emeka has built long term relationships with clients over the years, helping them identify and surpass their financial goals. He works with families to build after-tax wealth, protect their families and businesses and ensure a future by design. Emeka is very active in the community and is currently on the board of directors for the Nanaimo Affordable Housing Society and VIU association, an ambassador with the Greater Nanaimo Chamber of Commerce and proud Rotarian of the Nanaimo Oceanside Rotary club.